MK Förlag Beta
On MK Förlag Beta a.k.a. beta.mkforlag.com, a subdomain to the main domain www.mkforlag.com, I try out new ideas and develop new pages and new layout for the main domain.
At least, that was the intention when I launched the subsite in 2010. However, I haven't followed that intention much, mainly because I've mostly spent time learning how to write programs for Windows. The adding of the same layout as the rest of mkforlag.com in October 2012 may be a new start for beta.mkforlag.com. But I may also decide to remove beta.mkforlag.com altogether, because I decide I have no use for the subsite whatsoever.
Another purpose of MK Publishing Firm Beta is to find out how subdomains work and how they DON'T work.
What are the pros? What are the cons?
A google search on subdomains pros cons gave conflicting answers, including these:
- If you use subdomains, you will get more OR less visitors
- Subdomains are easier OR harder to maintain than subfolders
- Subdomains are OR aren't put on a par with the main domain by search engines
- Subdomains are considered more OR less important than subfolders by search engines
- If you use subdomains instead of subfolders, it will take more OR less time before new pages are indexed by Google
- Search results for subdomains are listed separately OR bundled with search results for the main domain
- You can OR can't use the same CSS files as on the main domain
What to do? Simply try, try again and try once more to find out what's true and what's not true regarding subdomains.
It seems it will take more time before new pages are indexed by Google if you use subdomains instead of subfolders. Not until June 6, 2010, eleven days after I published the two pages (a Swedish startpage and an English one) on beta.mkforlag.com, the English startpage but not the Swedish one have been included in Google's index. When I publish new pages on the main domain www.mkforlag.com, they have usually been indexed after two or maybe three days.
It seems search results for subdomains are listed separately. At least according to two google searches I made June 27, 2010, about a month after I started beta.mkforlag.com. The first search (on site:mkforlag.com) returned 120 hits for mkforlag.com and 4 for beta.mkforlag.com. The second search (on site:beta.mkforlag.com) returned 0 hits for mkforlag.com and 11 for beta.mkforlag.com.
You can use the same CSS files as on the main domain. At least as long as you use an absolute URL, like http://www.mysite.com/style/main.css.
Would you like to comment on this page or some other page? Use the contact form. Write the title of the page you want to comment on and your comment in the field Message.